Tuesday, June 19, 2007

buttermilk is king

June 19th

This morning my son Moe and I made Buttermilk Biscuits from page 794 of the James Beard American Cookery Cookbook.
Lately I've discovered that Buttermilk tastes really good. I made ice cream with it too. It's a little hard to tell when it goes bad because it is sour to begin with, but otherwise it's just like milk except with flavor. Where the hell has it been all my life?
Things i wanna try with it: Cold soups, like buttermilk-cucumber gazpacho maybe.
Try buttermilk ice cream, about one part to two parts regular cream or half and half. It's not for everyone. The first batch I made i actually had to trash because it was too sour, so don't be afraid to sweeten it.
Pancakes, of course, and biscuits, go all in with it.
Buttermilk, even my corner liquor store has it , so someone is using it. You feel a little Little House on the Prairie at first, but you'll get used to it.

No comments: